Dog Training Topic

A place to chat about (almost) anything that's not related to Horse Academy
MustangMountain

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:14 am

Ah ... hormones! That's a lot more difficult!! Not sure what to suggest other than buying something called 'bitch spray' it masks the scent of a dog in season but that's more for walking your dog whilst she's in season not whilst she's living with a male. Best of luck to you though I hope you can sort it out. :)

I♥Horses

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:13 am

Haha, yeah Thanks for the help though, appreciate it :)
I have no clue if I will be back, I pop in chats sometimes, so if you need me PM me❣️

I♥Horses

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:38 pm

Okay, I know this may sounds weird and such, but I just want to know if there is actually anything you can do to help with this...

As y'all know I have 2 german shepherd mixed with black wolf... Noah, the big dummy he is has one ear up, one ear down. Any idea why he does this, and is there a way to prevent that? I mean I have a little dog with one year up, one year down but he doesn't bother me as much as Noah's ears bother me. I mean he looks freaking awesome when both of his ears are up, he actually looks like a wolf and it's freaking awesome!

I heard when you play with their ears when they were puppies it can do that to the ears, but I don't think that's the case cause none of us really played with their ears.
idk maybe someone can help me, maybe not?

Also, how do I get it to ware I'm the one in charge of him instead of him trying to be in charge of me? He is so difficult to work with :|
I have no clue if I will be back, I pop in chats sometimes, so if you need me PM me❣️

Mrylee

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:55 am

I've heard you can put medical tape on the back of the ears (I've never actually had to try it). I believe they have tutorial videos on YouTube. Just type in "how to get a dog's ear to stand up" or something along those lines.

As for the other question, I am currently training a wild mustang yearling. The best advice I could give you is to not give in when he is being difficult, always end the training session on a good note. Also you need to be kind but firm. Let him know when he did something wrong (correct him in some way) but if he is attempting to do what you've asked of him, give him a reward. As he gets better only give him a reward when you feel he has earned it. Treats may not be necessary, sometimes a good scratch and a "goodboy" will work, just find something he enjoys and will work for. This will hopefully help earn a mutual respect as well as establish a pecking order.

Hope this helps :D
Thank you Kurstyn
Forever Home to Level 65 Spectre Crimson Rush CD
Chat name: Morgan Rasnick
RUSH Ranch- A little bit of everything

MustangMountain

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:40 pm

Now this is a subject i know a lot about ... if a dogs ears are still not up after 12 months there is nothing to be done Rivers ears send me into tears sometimes its so frustrating she is a wolf lookalike breed (no wolf) so with both ears up i would be happy for her to join my friends wolfdogs and do some acting but because her ears didnt go up i have turned down the offer i hope in the future to have a real wolfdog ( the ones with real wolf content have up ears from being young pups) now for acting there are ways to get the ears to go up i like the skin glue and nasal strips in the ear to prop them up this works well HOWEVER it is purely a temporary solution for those dogs over 12 months and will not make the ears go up without them .... for those dogs under i would say 7 months using this technique can help train the ears to go up unsupported but some ears will not go up regardless of the help it gets as its due to genetics. i would say if your dog is an adult and his ears being floppy isnt detrimental to health or if he is going to be in film or photo needing to look wolf like then leave his ears be and sadly accept they will not go up. if hes still a pup then you can try the nasal strip and skin glue (MUST be skin glue!! please dont try superglue or any of that!!)

RIVER SONG - last image is with the nasal strips in

WITH SUPPORTS -

I♥Horses

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Haven't been on here in ages, idk if any of y'all still get on here or not, but just wanted to update some things.

Late 2016 (October 26th) my oldest dog passed away at the age of 10, it wasn't because of old age... he had heartworms and died because of them, his stomach was filling up with fluids. The first day when I noticed it I thought maybe he was bloated, because he has been bloated before, but within the next 2-3 weeks he passed away.

Early 2017 (January 1st) didn't go so well for our family... my dad and I figured we'd walk one of our big dogs (the male) when we walked into their pen we noticed he wasn't acting his normal self, which is strange because the day before he was doing perfectly fine barking, running and jumping around. We walked him and noticed he was urinating blood, don't know how long he had been doing so, but he was also extremely dehydrated, could barely get around and go back into his pen, he laid like 10 feet away from their dog pen and he wouldn't get up so we just let him lay there for about 2 or 3 hours, trying to get him to drink and eat, but turned his nose up at eating and didn't do much drinking. After a little while longer he finally got up and started drinking and wanted to be loved on by everyone, since he was up this was our opportunity to put him back into his pen and rest more. Right after we went to go eat dinner which dinner time is usually around 4/5PM I went outside because I wanted to check on him and make him drink some more water, but one of my biggest fears had come true-- finding one of my beloved dogs not breathing and lifeless. So within not even three months apart, two of my favorite beloved dogs had passed away. One I knew was going to come any time soon, the other just so suddenly. So for those who have heard me talk about these two (wolf dogs) you'd know that he had a sister. She is so pitiful and lonely now, she needs like 100x more attention than what she used to need. I feel so sorry for her, all that she knew is now gone and has no clue why. The first day she thought we might've put him somewhere else in our yard, but the next day my dad took her to his grave and I think she comprehended it. She doesn't know what to do without her partner in crime.

RIP to my babies ♥

• Information