Dog Training Topic

A place to chat about (almost) anything that's not related to Horse Academy
DreamLyssa

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Purplelover1 wrote:Well this is an outside dog sooo..... I can use the ignoring part but probably not the others.
You want him to go in a certain spot? My dog kinda taught himself that lol. I think he might've got yelled at by his previous owner so he only goes by the side of the house instead of the middle of the yard. Idk how you'd teach that though...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~You can either get bitter, or you can get better."
Forever home to: Dream Wrecker ALY (L80), California Chrome *AUS* (L75), & War Emblem (A.S) (L50)

MustangMountain

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:12 pm

With river she was totally Un toilet trained when I got her on monday so what I did was when she toileted inside if she did it without me being there I ignored her if she did it whilst I was there she would get a firm no then straight outside every time she toilets outside I give her lots of praise and cuddles and today although she had an accident inside during the night she's only toileted outside (I think having an already toilet trained dog really helps)

Purplelover1

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:19 pm

DreamLyssa wrote:
Purplelover1 wrote:Well this is an outside dog sooo..... I can use the ignoring part but probably not the others.
You want him to go in a certain spot? My dog kinda taught himself that lol. I think he might've got yelled at by his previous owner so he only goes by the side of the house instead of the middle of the yard. Idk how you'd teach that though...

Yeah, there are a few places I would rather her go instead of in the middle of the yard...There is a large patch of grass beside the barn, in a pasture (there are like two beside the patch of grass) , and there is the bushrow. She wouldn't have to walk very far to get to one of those places... Also I don't mind her peeing in the yard I just don't want her to poop there. She goes in the right places sometimes but I think that is when she is there already.
Thanks Alyssa! -----------Don't Call Me SHORT (L73)----------- (Racing Blog)

DreamLyssa

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:33 pm

Training her to go in a certain place when she's an outside dog would likely take a lot of work. Watching her 24/7 and moving her piles might be the way to go. Hope she's fine with sharing her dog house lol. :P
I honestly don't know how I'd go about doing that...

Kurstyn you know I don't mean that. It's like how you have developed an eye for shading I have an eye for dogs. I see a dog and before I register that it's a canine I have the breed on the tip of my tongue.

If that kind of training works for you then that's great! It just has the opposite effect on my dogs, making them scared of me. And more than anything else, IDC if they know how to roll over or high five, I want my dogs to trust me so I do what I see is right for my puppy dogs. :)
Forever home to: Dream Wrecker ALY (L80), California Chrome *AUS* (L75), & War Emblem (A.S) (L50)

Fishi

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:09 pm

Dogs can trust you but at the same time be scared of you. Raine trusts me with her life but when she has done something bad, she is scared to come to close and will sometimes lower herself closer to the ground. Why? Because she knows that I a the 'Alpha' of the pack.
I taught her when she has done something bad or when she isn't listening, by rolling her onto her back and holding her there until she relaxes. It doesn't harm them and it is a natural thing to see in packs of dogs. When she has done something good or has behaved well, she gets rewarded with cuddles and playtime.

When I take her into new environments and she is unsure, I will squat next to her. I won't pat her, I will just be at her level and she is less afraid of the new environment. Also the best way to help them get use to other dogs is to organise 'play dates' with your friends dogs at your house and then once it gets more confidence take it over to your friends and then into a dog park or off lead park.

Some may not agree with how Raine sees me but words cannot explain how she sees me as her best friend but also sees me as 'alpha' who may scare her when she has misbehaved.
Formally known as Kayla Zoe.

I♥Horses

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Exactly :) Very well said
I have no clue if I will be back, I pop in chats sometimes, so if you need me PM me❣️

MustangMountain

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:26 pm

Hey I haven't been on here for a bit - quick update on my 2 ... river has grown massively in confidence and is fully toilet trained fluke has been neutered ! And I've been told he has great potential to in the future be show quality in both agility and fly ball (I had never tried him with flyball but he took to it straight away) he also won the most handsome dog in the family show we entered :) so all in all very good news ! (Oh and phoenix my kitten has decided he's a dog.)

I♥Horses

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:44 pm

This is Off Topic of training dogs, but it does have something to do with dogs.

Okay, so y'all know we have two dogs in our house, but one is on a leash (For MANY reasons) and one gets to run around.
Well, the one that gets to run around he sleeps in our room, and I was wondering if any of y'all know how to get rid of the
stench that he is leaving in our room. I've recently brushed him, gave him a bath and brushed him again.
After he was done with his bath we cleaned up our room, trying to get his smell out of our room. We Lysoled the entire room
Swepted, vacuumed etc.

We were gone for the whole weekend, left him home with my parents, and our room got all stinky again :|

I'm tired of our room smelling the way it does, perfume and Dog, its a nasty smelling combination and I want to get rid of it.

Also, (the same dog) he has sores\scabs on his body, and I don't know how to get rid of them, do y'all have anything about that?
We aren't taking him to the vet, like most people would suggest us to do, but we just don't have the money for it.
Any suggestions? Thanks :)
I have no clue if I will be back, I pop in chats sometimes, so if you need me PM me❣️

MustangMountain

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:44 pm

I've heard bicarbonated soda (baking soda) helps get rid of odours. Although I've used it yesterday and cannot tell a difference it could be that I'm used to their smell! (I will be asking my next visitor!) Also daily hoovering can help.

DreamLyssa

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:16 pm

Don't like the smell of perfume & dog? Get rid of one or the other! Jk, don't do that. Well... personally I would get rid of the perfume because I'm just not big on that stuff, but that's me. I'm honestly no help with that, my house probably has a permanent dog smell that I'm used to. All I can suggest is to keep the room clean and give the dog regular baths. But not too many baths because that can cause dry skin issues. My dogs need a bath so badly. They're lucky if they get a yearly bath. :oops: As soon as it gets to 70 degrees over here they are getting a nice dry skin doggy shampoo bath... After this winter 60 degrees is probably plenty warm even...

Now the skin... Can you describe it anymore? It's not mange? Does he have fleas? Is he scratching a lot? I get the money thing but maybe you have a cheap place near you that you don't know about. We have this place that we can walk to where shots are like $10, a full check-up is $25 (we got it free when the dogs had shots), and if we had surgery on our guinea pig to remove his tumor it would have only been $80. All that and it's not even a non-profit. They don't have all the equipment but you don't walk out of there with $500+ less than you went in with. There's another similar place fairly close and a reasonably priced vet not too far away as well. Just something to look into if it's serious. $25 to have him checked out might be worth it. Otherwise it sounds to me like it might be fleas? Where are the sores? Back? Ears? Legs? I've seen all three for different reasons. Without any further info I suggest regular baths, but not too often. Maybe get a dry skin shampoo for dogs. Make sure he's not allergic to something. And make sure he has his flea preventative. Let me know if you can describe it any more. Also, my JRT has some CCD (Canine Compulsive Disorder - basically doggy OCD) and licks his leg raw. We bought a spray from Petco that didn't cost too much which tasted bad and helped heal. I'm really thinking fleas though with the info given...

And Cat, you've taught Fluke several tricks haven't you? I know you mentioned agility a few times. I want a list of what he knows and what he's working on! If I'm thinking right and you have taught him several things. XD I love how good you are with dogs. Most people these days just abandon their dog at the shelter because they didn't turn out perfect with absolutely no training. I absolutely love training dogs as well but with where I live there's too many limits. :/ German Shepherd jumping our front fence, APBT coming through the backyard fence, holes in the fence, and a nocturnal family member who doesn't sleep so well through the barking of a JRT. On top of that Nov-March are cold. The only thing I look forward to about getting older is being able to do whatever, whenever and wherever, with a dog. You can't teach a dog to properly heel if out don't take it anywhere. Anyway, I keep trailing off everywhere lol. I want a list of Fluke's tricks! River's too. I'm just curious what you taught them. :P I could list my dog's tricks too if wanted. A 75 pound dog is funny when he sits pretty/begs - random fact of the day.

• Information